The Hon. Tana Coates is a judge on the Superior Court of San Luis Obispo County in California. She was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown (D) on May 22, 2017, to replace Judge Martin J. Tangeman.
The judgeship is officially a nonpartisan position, but Coates is a Democrat.
Coates received a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Texas at Austin and a J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center.
- Bachelor of Journalism from University of Texas
- J.D. from University of Houston Law Center
- Partner at Coates and Coates (2009 to 2017)
- Partner at James R. Murphy, Jr. and Tana L. Coates, A Law Corporation (2005 to 2009)
- Associate at James R. Murphy, Jr., A Law Corporation (1991 to 2005)