Hon. Sunshine S. Sykes is a judge for the Superior Court of Riverside County in California. She is the first Native American ever appointed to this court.
The daughter of a Navajo mother, Sykes was born on the Navajo Nation Reservation in Tuba City, Arizona.
She has a strong interest in juvenile court and child welfare.
- J.D. from Stanford Law School
- B.A. from Stanford University
- Deputy county counsel at Riverside County Office of County Counsel in Riverside County (2005 to 2013)
- Contract attorney at Juvenile Defense Panel (2003 to 2005)
- Staff attorney/Equal Justice Works fellow at California Indian Legal Services (2001 to 2003)