When Kleifield was appointed he was a partner with Gordon, Edelstein, Krepack, Grant, Felton & Goldstein, and he served on the board of the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles.
He received a bachelor's degree from Washington University and a J.D. from George Washington University.
He was appointed judge for the Superior Court of Los Angeles County in August 2002. On March 22, 2016, he was appointed to preside over all asbestos-related coordinated matters for the counties of Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego.
- J.D. from George Washington University National Law Center (1979)
- A.B. from Washington University (1975)
- Managing Partner (Personal Injury/Employment) at Gordon, Edelstein, Krepack, Grant, Felton & Goldstein in Los Angeles County, California (1989 to 2002)
- Board member at Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California (1992 to 2002)
- Judge at Los Angeles Superior Court in Los Angeles County, California (from 2002)
- Since 2011, all asbestos litigation for Los Angeles County, Orange County, and San Diego County has been designated complex and sent to LASC Dept 324 under JCCP 4674. Judge Kleifield was appointed to the department in March 2016 upon the retirement of the Honorable Emilie Elias.