In 2015, the Hon. Sonia Cortés was appointed to a judgeship in Yolo County Superior Court. She's the first Latino to be a judge in that county.
The judge is a Democrat.
She was brought to the U.S. from Mexico as a child. Her family settled in Winters, California and later lived in public housing operated by Yolo County.
- J.D. from UC Berkeley
- Bachelor's degree from UC Davis (Political science / Psychology)
- Senior deputy county at Yolo County Counsel’s Office in Yolo County, California (2007 to 2015)
- Deputy county counsel at Yolo County Counsel’s Office in Yolo County, California (2002 to 2007)
- Managing attorney at International Institute of the East Bay (2002 to 2002)
- Immigration attorney at La Raza Centro Legal (2000 to 2002)
- Attorney at Legal Aid of the North Bay (1997 to 1999)