2nd District Court of Appeal, Department - (website)
The Hon. Marla J. Miller is an Associate Justice in the Court of Appeal of California. She was appointed to the Court of Appeal in November 2014 and confirmed by the Commission on Judicial Appointments on December 10, 2014.
Prior to joining the Court of Appeal, in 2005, Justice Miller was appointed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to the Superior Court of San Francisco where she presided over criminal and civil jury and bench trials, preliminary hearings, and the law and motion department.
Justice Miller graduated cum laude upon earning her J.D. in 1980 and was an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Justice Miller is a member of the Judicial Council’s Civil Jury Instructions Advisory Committee and the Supreme Court Committee on Judicial Ethics Opinions. Also, she previously served on the Judicial Council Access and Fairness Advisory Committee, and the executive committee of the San Francisco Superior Court.
Outside the courtroom, Justice Miller is also active in the community and civic affairs. She was president of the San Francisco Women Lawyers Alliance and the Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court, a member of the board of directors of the Bar Association of San Francisco, the State Bar of California Committee on Women in the Law, and the Association of Business Trial Lawyers.
- J.D. from Harvard Law School (1980)
- Bachelor's Degree from Harvard University (1976)
- Judge at San Francisco Superior Court in San Francisco County, California (2005 to 2014)
- Law Clerk at Judge Charles M. Merrill, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco County, California (1980 to 1981)
- Partner at Morrison & Foerster (2004 to 2005)
- Assistant United States Attorney at U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California (1987 to 1992)
- Chief Assistant District Attorney at San Francisco District Attorney’s Office in San Francisco County, California
- Director at Law Firm of Howard, Rice, Nemerovski, Canady, Robertson & Falk