The Hon. Joel L. Lofton is a judge for the Los Angeles County Superior Court in California. He was appointed to the bench in 2015 by former governor Jerry Brown to succeed Rand S. Rubin.
He is not registered under any party affiliation.
Judge Lofton received his B.A. from the University of California, Riverside and went on to earn his J.D. from Southwestern Law School in 2003.
After graduating from law school, Lofton joined the African Community Resource Center as an attorney. After one year at the center, he left to join the Riverside County Public Defender's Office as a deputy public defender, and in 2005 he joined the Los Angeles County Public Defender's Office in the same capacity. In 2009 Judge Lofton served as an officer in the U.S. Army Reserves J.A.G. Corp and was elevated to the rank of captain in 2011. Lofton continued to practice for the Public Defender's Office until his appointment in 2015.
Judge Lofton has also taught contemporary criminal procedure as an adjunct professor at his alma mater Southwestern Law School.
- Bachelor's Degree from University of California, Riverside
- J.D. from Southwestern Law School
- Judge at Los Angeles County Superior Court in Los Angeles County, California (from 2015)
- Deputy Public Defender at Los Angeles County Public Defender's Office in Los Angeles County, California (2005 to 2015)
- Deputy Public Defender at Riverside County Public Defender's Office in Riverside County, California (2004 to 2005)
- Attorney at African Community Resource Center (2003 to 2004)
- Adjunct Professor at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles County, California