In 2008, the Hon. Janet Gaard was appointed as a judge for the Superior Court of Yolo County in California.
- J.D. from University of California, Davis School of Law (1983)
- Bachelor's degree from California State University, Fresno
- Chief assistant attorney general at California Department of Justice, Division of Public Rights (2007 to 2008)
- Special assistant attorney general and director of legislative affairs at California Department of Justice (1999 to 2007)
- Deputy attorney general at California Department of Justice (1984 to 1999)
- Staff attorney at Third District Court of Appeal (1983 to 1984)