Hon. James P. Arguelles is a judge of the Superior Court of Sacramento County in California, appointed in 2010.
Arguellas has a diverse legal background, as he spent 8 years serving as a JAG in the U.S. Army Reserve, and the rest in private practice, before being sworn in as a judge. He used to be a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association.
Judge Arguellas served for five years as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of California in Sacramento, where he conducted grand jury investigations and tried more than a dozen white collar cases in a variety of areas including bank fraud, investment fraud, mail/wire fraud, accounting fraud, and money laundering. Responsible for all phases of prosecution and appeals, he briefed and argued numerous cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
While a federal prosecutor, Judge Arguellas also served as the Corporate Fraud Coordinator for the Eastern District of California, and received the Executive Office for United States Attorneys' Directors Award, as well as performance commendations from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the United States Postal Inspection Service, and Internal Revenue Service Criminal Investigation Division
Prior to his service with the U.S. Attorney's office in Sacramento, Judge Arguellas practiced law with Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, where he represented clients in a broad range of business litigation areas, including antitrust, franchising, elder abuse, and employment law. He also served as a law clerk to United States District Court Judge Marilyn L. Huff in San Diego, California.
- J.D. from Harvard Law School (1996)
- B.S. from U.S. Naval Academy
- Judge at Superior Court of Sacramento County in Sacramento, CA (from 2010)
- Attorney at Stevens, O'Connell & Jacobs (2005 to 2010)
- Assistant United States Attorney at US Attorney for the Eastern District of California in Sacramento, CA (2000 to 2005)
- Attorney at Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
- clerk to United States District Court Judge Marilyn L. Huff at US District Court, San Diego in San Diego, CA