Santa Barbara County Superior Court, Department Santa Barbara - 1 (website)
Anacapa Division: (805) 882-4520
Hon. James E. Herman is a judge for the Superior Court of Santa Barbara County in California. He was appointed by former governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in May 2005 to succeed James B. Jennings.
Herman is a Democrat.
He learned Chinese while serving in the U.S. Air Force, and has worked pro bono for Chinese-speaking clients. Before attending law school, Herman did sound and lighting work at Disney World.
- J.D. from California Western Law School (1975)
- B.A. from University of California at Santa Barbara (1971)
- Partner at Reicker, Pfau, Pyle, McRoy and Herman (1999 to 2005)
- Partner at Rogers, Sheffield and Herman (1987 to 1999)
- Associate at Goux, Romasanta and Cappello (1984 to 1987)
- Deputy public defender at Public defender (until 1984)