The Hon. Holly J. Fujie was appointed to the Los Angeles Superior Court of the State of California on December 27, 2011, by former Governor Jerry Brown.
Prior to her appointment, Judge Fujie was a shareholder in the Los Angeles‐based law firm of BuchalterNemer, where she practiced corporate civil litigation. She also served on Senator Feinstein’s Judicial Advisory Committee, advising the Senator and the White House on federal judicial nominations and on the nomination of United States Attorneys for the Central District of California.
She received A.B. and J.D. degrees from the University of California, Berkeley, where she was an editor of the California Law Review.
In 2008‐2009 she was the third woman and the 1st Asian American to serve as the President of the State Bar of California. She has also served as Vice President of the California Bar Foundation, President of the Boalt Hall Alumni Association and of the Chancery Club, and at the time of her appointment to the bench, she was Chair of Bet Tzedek Legal Services. Judge Fujie continues to serve on numerous boards and she has received many awards for her work in diversity and for bar leadership, including the Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles’ Distinguished Service Award, the National Association of Women Lawyers’ M. Ashley Dickerson Diversity Award, the ABA’s Difference Makers Award, and the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s Trailblazer Award.
Judge Fujie lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Lee Cotugno, an employment lawyer. They have a son and a daughter.
- Bachelor's Degree from University of California, Berkeley
- J.D. from University of California, Berkeley
- Equity shareholder at Buchalter Nemer (1991 to 2011)
- Associate and equity shareholder at Rosen Wachtell and Gilbert (1985 to 1991)
- Associate at Rogers and Wells (1981 to 1985)
- Associate at Morgan Lewis and Bockius (1980 to 1981)
- Associate at Adams Duque and Hezeltine (1978 to 1980)