The Hon. Gerald J. Buchwald was appointed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to the Superior Court of San Mateo County in 2005.
Before his judgeship, he took both plaintiffs' and defendants' lawsuits. He handled commercial and business cases, construction litigation, professional and director/officer liability cases, and insurance coverage matters.
Judge Buchwald also has business experience, having worked in his family's baking supply business, commercial real estate, and agricultural cold storage company.
He is a member of the ABA's Judicial Division.
Judge Buchwald is a Republican.
- J.D. from Northwestern University School of Law (1973)
- Bachelor's degree from Northwestern University
- Attorney at Ropers, Majeski (1999 to 2005)
- Attorney at Severson & Werson (1976 to 1998)
- Attorney at McCutchen, Doyle, Brown & Enersen (1974 to 1976)
- Law clerk at Chief Justice Donald R. Wright at the California Supreme Count (1973 to 1974)