In 2012, the Hon. Elia Ortiz was appointed judge for the Superior Court of Napa County in California. She became the first Latin American judicial officer in Napa County.
As a public defender her caseload included general felonies, homicide, juvenile delinquency, conservatorships, and trials.
Judge Ortiz is the daughter of Nicaraguan immigrants and the first in her family to attend college.
She is a Democrat.
- J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law
- B.A. from Sonoma State University
- Public defender at Napa County Public Defender’s Office in Napa County, California (2001 to 2012)
- Public defender at Riverside County Public Defenders Office in Riverside County, California
- Public defender at Solano County Public Defenders Office in Solano County, California