The Hon. Douglas W. Stern is a judge for the Superior Court of Los Angeles County in California. He was appointed by Governor Jerry Brown on May 21, 2013.
Judge Stern is a lifelong resident of Los Angeles County, having been raised in Bellflower, California. He attended U.C.L.A. where he received his A.B. with a double major in political science and economics (with honors) in 1975. He then attended U.C.L.A. Law School, where he was selected to serve on the U.C.L.A. Law Review, based upon being in the top 10% of his class. He graduated from U.C.L.A. Law School in 1978 and practiced business litigation.
Stern has led the effort to preserve natural open space on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, drawing on his unique background in the PVP Land Conservancy.
Stern has been married for 27 years to Eileen Stern. They have two daughters.
- J.D. from University of California, Los Angeles (1978)
- B.A. from University of California, Los Angeles (1975) (Political science and economics)
- Judge at Superior Court of Los Angeles County in Los Angeles County, California (from 2013)
- Attorney at Private Practice (2013 to 2013)
- Attorney at Gibbs Giden Locher Turner and Senet LLP (2012 to 2013)
- Litigation Manager for Southern California at Fidelity National Law Group (2009 to 2012)
- Litigation partner at Fulbright & Jaworski LLP in Los Angeles County, California (1990 to 2009)
- Litigation partner at Pepper Hamilton and Scheetz (1982 to 1990)
- Litigation associate at Miller and Mandel (1978 to 1982)