The Hon. Bruce G. Iwasaki is a judge for the Los Angeles County Superior Court in California. He was appointed to the bench by former governor Jerry Brown in 2012.
He is a registered Democrat.
Judge Iwasaki received his B.A. in Psychology and English from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1972. He went on to earn his J.D. from UCLA School of Law in 1976.
After graduating from law school, Iwasaki joined the Neighborhood Legal Services' San Fernando Valley location as a staff attorney and subsequentially as directing attorney in 1976. In 1980 he joined the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA) where he practiced for eight years as a staff attorney, senior counsel and ultimately as a directing attorney. He joined the law firm of O'Melveny and Myers LLP in 1988 as an associate. After nine years with the firm, Judge Iwasaki re-joined LAFLA in 1997 as an Executive Director. In 2006 he became a partner at the law firm Lim, Ruger and Kim, LLP where he remained until his appointment to the Superior Court in 2012.
Judge Iwasaki has received many awards which include the Pro Bono Civil Rights Award from the ACLU Foundation of Southern California in 1996, the Antonia Hernandez Public Interest Award from UCLA School of Law in 1999, the Loren Miller Legal Services Award from the State Bar of California in 2004, and the John Minor Wisdom Public Service and Professionalism Award from the American Bar Association Section of Litigation in 2006.
His memberships have included serving as president of the City of Los Angeles Board of Taxicab Commissioners, serving on the board of trustees for the Los Angeles County Bar Association, and on the board of directors for the California Bar Foundation. He has also served as a member of the Commission on the Future of California's Court System.
- J.D. from University of California School of Law, Los Angeles (1976)
- B.A. from University of California, Los Angeles (1972) (Psychology and English)
- Executive Director at Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California (1997 to 2006)
- Associate at O'Melveny and Myers, LLP in Los Angeles County, California (1988 to 1997)
- Attorney, Senior Counsel, and Directing Attorney at Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California (1980 to 1988)
- Staff Attorney at Neighborhood Legal Services, San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles County, California (1976 to 1980)
- Partner at Lim, Ruger and Kim, LLP in Los Angeles County, California (2006 to 2012)