The Hon. Barbara R. Johnson is a judge for the Los Angeles County Superior Court in California. She was appointed to the Municipal Court by former governor Pete Wilson in 1993. Through the unification of the courts she was elevated to the Superior Court in 2000.
Judge Johnson received her B.A. from Yale University and went on to earn her J.D. from California Western School of Law.
After graduating from law school, Johnson became a sole practitioner for the City of Inglewood in California. She remained in private practice until 1985 when she joined the City of Inglewood as a Deputy City Attorney and later as an Assistant City Attorney. She remained there until her appointment to the Superior Court in 2000.
While on the bench, one of her assignments has included presiding over the Appellate Division of the Superior Court.
She has been a member of the California Judges Association, the Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles, and the Langston Bar Association to name a few.
Judge Johnson is active in her community and enjoys volunteering her time as a mentor.
- B.A. from Yale University
- J.D. from California Western School of Law
- Sole Practitioner at Self in Los Angeles County, California
- Deputy City Attorney at City of Inglewood in Los Angeles County, California (from 1985)
- Assistant City Attorney at City of Inglewood in Los Angeles County, California (1985 to 1993)