The Hon. Gregory H. Lewis is a judge on the Superior Court of Orange County in California. He succeeded to the Superior Court on August 10, 1998 upon the majority vote of judges in the county to convert Municipal Courts to Superior Courts.
Lewis attended California State University, Long Beach, where he earned a B.A. in 1963. He received a J.D. from Western State University College of Law in 1973.
Lewis began his legal career in 1978, joining his stepfather, Tad Hagee, in his legal practice. Ten years later, he was appointed by former governor George Deukmejian to the Municipal Court in Santa Ana.
Born and raised in Long Beach, California, Lewis joined the U.S. Army after finishing high school. He completed his service in 1958, enrolling at California State University, Long Beach. He then joined his father and his stepfather in the family oil business. Here, he became a contract petroleum land man, helping to negotiate mineral-rights leases for oil companies. He continued working in the oil business after graduating from law school, buying a number of oil wells across Southern California.
As a Municipal Court judge, Lewis presided over the 321 Club. The 321 Club was an experimental court program seeking to rehabilitate drug addicts convicted of misdemeanors. Instead of sending these offenders to jail, the 321 Club instituted a three-year program of informal probation involving suspended sentences, random drug testing, monthly court appearances, and daily Alcoholic Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings.
Please wait a moment while we gather your results.